Tuesday, June 12, 2012

More of Passion Week

On the Monday of Passion Week, Christ cursed the fig tree and cleansed and taught in the temple. 

18 Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered.
 19 And when he saw a fig tree ain the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let nobfruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And cpresently the fig tree withered away.
 20 And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!
 21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have afaith, and bdoubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this cmountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
 22 And all athings, whatsoever ye shall bask in cprayer, believing, ye shall receive.


An Israeli fig tree.
On Tuesday Jesus gave the Olivet Discourse somewhere on the Mount of Olives. We went and sat at the Pater Noster Church and read the discourse. 
 44 ¶Jesus cried and said, He that abelieveth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.
 45 And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.
 46 I am come a alight into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
 47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to ajudge the world, but to save the world.
 48 He that arejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that bjudgeth him: the cword that I have spoken, the same shalldjudge him in the last day.
 49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which asentme, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
 50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I aspeak therefore, even as the bFather said unto me, so I cspeak.
our reading spot on the Mount of Olives

On Wednesday, the plot to kill Jesus and the anointing of Jesus occured. 
 After two days was the feast of the passover, and of unleavened bread: and the chief priests and the ascribes sought how they might take him by craft, and put him to bdeath.
 But they said, Not on the feast day, lest there be an uproar of the people.
 ¶And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head.
 And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this awaste of the ointment made?
 For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her.
 And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me.
 For ye have the apoor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.
 She hath done what she could: ashe is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.
 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that ashe hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her.
 10 ¶And Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve, went unto the chief priests, to betray him unto them.
 11 And when they heard it, they were glad, and promised to give him money. And he sought how he might conveniently betray him.
On Thursday, the Last Supper, Gethsemane, betrayal and arrest, and Jesus before the authorities. We went to the Garden of Gethsemane and read the scriptures that coordinated with this day. 
26 ¶And as they were eating, Jesus took abreadband blessed it,and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my cbody.
 27 And he took the acup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, bDrink ye all of it;
 28 aFor this is my bblood of the new ctestament, which is shed for many for the dremission of sins.
 29 But I say unto you, I will not adrink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I bdrink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.
 30 And when they had sung an ahymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.




traditional site of the Upper Room, where Christ washed his disciples feet and gave the Last Supper




....
36 ¶Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place calledaGethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and bpray yonder.
 37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, andabegan to be sorrowful and very heavy.
 38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is aexceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and bwatch with me.

 39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and aprayed, saying, O my bFather, if it be possible, let this ccup pass from me: nevertheless not as I dwill, but as ethou fwilt.
 40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them aasleep, and saith unto Peter, What, bcould ye not watch with me one hour?
 41 aWatch and bpray, that ye enter not into ctemptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
 42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy awill be done.
 43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.
 44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.
 45 Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is abetrayed into the hands of sinners.
....
¶And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priests and elders of the people.
 48 Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast.
 49 And aforthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, master; and kissed him.
 50 And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him.




 Marcie, Me, Sarah, and Meredith in the Garden
Garden of Gethsemane



...

62 And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?
 63 But Jesus aheld his bpeace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I cadjure thee by the dliving God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
 64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the aSon of man sitting on the right hand of bpower, and ccoming in the clouds of heaven.
 65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spokenablasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.
 66 What think ye? They answered and said, He is aguilty bofcdeath.
 67 Then did they aspit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands,
 68 Saying, Prophesy unto us, thou Christ, Who is he that asmote thee?



No comments:

Post a Comment