Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Can't Sleep

Yeah it's 1:40 am. Up. Figured. I leave for Jerusalem in the morning. I should be getting up in about three and a half hours but I have two days to sleep on a plane so it's fine. I have a new camera and sometimes I just play around with it to see its secret powers. All I found out was that I still love doing horse lips and that once in a while it's necessary to take a tacky-myspace-high-angle-picture when you have a cute new outfit on. 



So. Guys. Officially the most stressful non-academic day of my life thus far: the day before I left for Jerusalem. We had out *4* hour long orientation meeting- it was Professor Kearl talking for *4* hours. It was all very useful information to know, like which terminal to meet at, how to get out of the Israeli security, how to not get assaulted by young Arab men, how the Israeli hospitals are first rate, what not to wear (most used phrase somewhat yelled by Kearl during the entire orientation: NO hoodies). We discussed everything from how we have a Palistinean professor, an Arab professor, an orthodox Jewish professor, and 3 LDS professors. So basically I'm getting every aspect of the Israeli-Palistenian conflict and I'm going to be pro at it tout suite (in my roommate StephGraff's words). Anyway, the orientation was not exactly the most relaxing thing I've ever been through and I realized after his discussion of clothing that I had a little re-packing to do. We made an emergency trip to the store, had my final meal in America (Wendy's bacon cheeseburger. Fail.), and headed over to whom I love to call Saint Marilyn Petersen who helped me sew some of my clothes literally last minute. Then I came home to my best friends who had come to say goodbye. Then, I got to re-packing. Just finished. 

Room: disaster.

Me: dead tired, yet unable to sleep. and nervous.

Checked bag: 49 pounds


Carry on: 35 lbs



"Personal item" aka MASSIVE purse: 10lbs


So I'm pushing it. Who cayuhs.
But I got it all in and I'm READY TO GO!!!!

***

I came in to find my sweet angel mother had gotten me some special items for my trip. 
A personalized journal with sweet anthro-like pages:



 and a personalized leather copy of James E. Talmage's Jesus the Christ. I'm mormon.org. Look it up, y'all.


***

 I'm ready, Israel. I will see you after a long arduous trip of flying, 6 hour layovers, awkward sleeping positions, airport food, and some new friends. But you're worth it. I've been waiting for you for my whole life and I'm about to finally be there. 


4 comments:

  1. GAH so excited for you! Can I live vicariously through you until April? that would be awesome :) have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'll be in a bubble for 4 months but a wonderful bubble. keep those posts coming. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MADDIE!! WE MISS YOU :) But I'm so excited for you! I hope you have the time of your LIFE :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madathin you are so funny and I just love you. I have no idea how to do this blogging thing but you have done such a great job with yours. Also, I'm glad you have finally seen the light and become obsessed with iPod dance parties.

    ReplyDelete