Saturday, January 7, 2012

Couldn't Resist

Today is the Sabbath and we had church at 10, I was super sick, but I made it through. Also I was fasting, so it was kind of a rough day....until this: after church it started to clear up so I decided to go with a few people who were going into the Old City. Me, Sarah, Trav, David, and Sarah Jane made the trek up and down the hills and through the hoards of intimidating Arab men telling me " you no need no makeup!!" because I accidentally went out with red lips. We went to the Garden Tomb. It didn't open till 2 so we had to wait outside for a little, then went to the door and waited. That was smart, because a bunch of people came to get in line and we were towards the first people to go in. We met some Americans on a tour with a local and he knew us as the Mormons, asked us if we were the new group, and kept saying "welcome welcome."  We went in and walked through the beautiful gardens they have kept up so well. Then we saw the Tomb. I've always had the image in my mind, I have always loved the picture of the Garden Tomb in my grandparent's house, and I always think of that when I think of the Atonement and Resurrection. But now I am here. The door says "He is not here, for He is risen." We went in and I just stood there for a second, soaking it in. I had many feelings and emotions, but the one I thought was interesting and the one that I loved the most was the feeling of being at home. I felt so comfortable and peaceful and happy. The spirit was strong and we all stood there for a moment, then went and sat on benches outside and wrote in our journals and just sat and looked at it for about an hour. I don't really know what else to say about it other than I've never been more thankful to be anywhere than I am thankful to be here. 

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment