Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hello, Israel. I love you already!


WE ARE HERE!!!


So yesterday I woke up at 4:15am. Showered, zipped up my bags, and left to the airport. While I was checking in, all I was thinking about was how my bag was going to be over the weight limit and I would have to take my shampoo out. At home, we have a skeewompus scale so I had no idea how much my bag weighed. Previous information to add to the drama of my bag weighing experience: there's a limit of 50 pounds and apparently a grace period of 2 pounds. My bag weighed 52 pounds. *hallelujah


my favorite plane ticket.
We went upstairs, chilled at the terminal, and waited to board the flight to JFK. We boarded, flew, boring stuff, blah blah then landed, waited 6 hours, ate a Chili's, studied for a quiz we had right when we got here, and got to know each other. Then, a very flamboyant Israeli airport worker flamboyantly ushered us to the terminal and we went through a mini security check and boarded. The plane to Tel Aviv was a double decker, 8 seats wide HUGE plane, but don't worry we still had no leg room. 


notice the sun coming through the clouds like on Lion King. and the battleship in the middle of the ocean.
The flight was about 10 hours long and pretty miserable. We were on this plane half full of Mormons and half full of Jews. Some orthodox, some not, some old, some young, but all interesting. Our favorite flight attendant was the Israeli Barack, who liked to dance and make chicken noises as he handed us our chicken dinner. The other white attendant called him Barack Obama to be funny. It was. 


just a hop across the Atlantic
When we landed, there was applause. We were now officially in the Holy Land.




Then, we rode a very swirly, bumpy bus ride with varying speeds that resulted in one poor soul (and almost two, being ME,) getting sick and throwing up at the front. Israel is surprisingly green. Our bus ride was really interesting- Israel is green (at least right now) and has regular highways, buildings, cars, etc and looks pretty normal. 




Anyway, the horrible bus ride, horrible plane ride, six hour layovers, bad food, sore throats, etc were all worth it when we went through a tunnel and Professor Harper said "Ok guys we're going to be coming up on the center pretty soon and this will be your first view of the Old City and the Center and the Dome of the Rock." We went from the regular city and highways and green-ness, through a tunnel, and all of a sudden the Old City appeared. It is hilly and covered in buildings, which cradle the Dome of the Rock. It took my breath away. After I first saw the Dome of the Rock, I looked up the Mount of Olives and saw the Center. It is in THE most beautiful spot possible, just overlooking the city like a protector. Then, a few twists and turns and we pulled into the center and unloaded. The building is STUNNING- so open, airy, light, and artistic. The first thing we did was go into the best part of the center: the auditorium. It has the best view in the center and features an amazing organ and massive windows. We sang "Israel, Israel God is Calling" and I couldn't really contain my emotions. Then, they opened the curtains while Brother Jackson (our academic director) was talking and he stopped so we could look out. There aren't really words to describe the view and what I was feeling: so thankful I was there, in awe at how lucky I was, how few other people have and will ever see this, and what this city has seen: decades of contention and strife, but it is simultaneously a place where 3 main monotheistic beliefs share a sacred place in common. We're all worshipping God, just in different ways. 

Today I woke up around 4:30am to my favorite sound: the Muslim prayer call that happens periodically throughout the day. They recite prayers over speakers throughout the city and it floods into our rooms and I am obsessed with it. We got our first tour of the Old City. I couldn't stop smiling the whole time. They just took us on a quick 4 hour long walk through everything we would eventually be spending hours studying and being immersed in. I was so excited to know that all of these places would become my second home. We went down to the shops, Garden Tomb, all of the gates (Jaffa, Damascus, Lion gate) the Church of the Holy Sepulcher (which is believed to be the place where Christ was crucified and the place where the stones of old Golgotha are, featuring a hole where the cross is rumored to have been placed) and through the streets of the Old City. One of my favorite places was the roof of an Austrian Hospice and could see the whole entire city from up high. The Dome of the Rock seemed a stone's throw away. All of the buildings around it are covered in domes as well. Also cool was that the security guards from the center (who are already our friends) just popped up along the way like little guardian angels. Love them. Then we came home and ate, had more orientation, got our phones, etc, and took a much needed nap. Now we're about to have an activity in the gym and then I have a bunch of homework to do already! But I don't care. Because I'm in Jerusalem.


xoxo Mads

4 comments:

  1. i WANT your life right now. woah, im dying right now just reading that. wow. perfect life maddie. not even fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting in my ghetto kitchen crying right now because I want to be there with you! Soak it all in! Tell the Jackson's hello for me (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MADDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED PICTURES!!!!!!!! I freaking love you....and you're blog.....and you with your blog....and ALL THINGS JERUS! Thanks for posting. Hope to hear more from you soon. <3

    ReplyDelete