Sunday, January 29, 2012

Western Wall and Garden Tomb


On Friday we had a regular day (unable to go out to the city because it’s the Muslim’s special prayer day and the kind of crowd the streets until 3pm) and went to the Western Wall at 4:30. Judaism has their Shabbat (Sabbath) from sundown on Friday night to sundown on Saturday night. They usher in the Shabbat every Friday with a celebration of joyful praises, dancing, and singing at the Western Wall, a piece of wall that dates back to Christ’s time. We got there right as the sun was going down. We don’t have any pictures of that night because it’s disrespectful to take pictures of them having this celebration, but I’ll try to describe it with my imperfect words. There is the wall, and a big open area in front of it. 

A picture of the Wall, obviously not the night we were there- it's empty here. Imagine it with a pool of people praying and dancing at night!
There is a mens side and womens side, and they were completely full. We went in and we were shoulder to shoulder with Jewish women who were so happy. Some women were in groups singing and dancing, some were praying on chairs. Some were old and orthodox, some were young college girls from New York City. Some were in short skirts with tights and cute coats, some were completely covered in black fabric. But they were all ushering their favorite day of the week: the Shabbat. We made our way in and I felt so much joy! I knew that we were all worshipping the same God, just in a different way. The atmosphere was electric and I was completely caught off guard how much spirit and happiness I felt. Then we left the fenced area and went back to look over at the men, which was very interesting. I saw the same amazing thing: some were young secular 14 year old Jews, and some were old orthodox men with long beards, ringlets, large fur hats, and black robes. We could see our boys with their borrowed kippas dancing around in the circles with the Jewish men. I just have so much respect for them and I realize that they are so devoted so their religion in ways that I know I couldn’t handle. I know that a lot of Mormons probably wouldn’t and don’t have the devotion that some of these people have, and it makes me want to be better. It was one of my favorite experiences I’ve ever had here.




  Saturday we went to the Garden Tomb right after church. I had already been, and I’m glad I went before then so I could have my own time there and be alone and feel the spirit, but I am so glad we went together. We got a little tour of the garden, went through the tomb, and then sat and sang hymns. 



Brother Huntsman said that they (the British Christians that work there) love for us to come because we always sing so beautifully. Brother Huntsman was leading us, and he gave us instructions on what we were singing, which key we were in, etc and right before we started he quietly said “this is a great time to bear your testimony, guys.” I don’t know if he realized how insightful this was, but it hit me and I realized that even though we signed an important document, on which my life depends, that we wouldn’t proselytize, we could bear our testimonies in other ways.


 We sang Jesus Once of Humble Birth, I Know That My Redeemer Lives, I Believe In Christ, I Stand All Amazed, He Is Risen, and Christ the Lord Is Risen Today. 


Pretty much one of the most amazing experiences ever: Singing those hymns manifesting my belief in Christ and my belief that He conquered death and was risen again while I’m looking at the doorway of the tomb in which He rose from death. 






No comments:

Post a Comment